Exhibit Gallery - exhibition projects from spring 2024
Deadline: Thursday, Jun 8, 2023, 11:00am
From now on, the Vice Rector’s Office for Art | Teaching of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna is accepting proposals for exhibition projects to be presented in the Exhibit Galerie at Schillerplatz 3 starting in spring 2024. Experimental exhibition concepts that address the location of the Exhibit Gallery at the Academy are particularly welcome. The call addresses people within the Academy as well as graduates and external curators.
1. Content of the call - Intention
Knowledge of exhibition practice or curatorial experience is required, as well as a connection of the submitted project to the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. Preference will be given to projects that have links to the artistic practice or the artistic-scholarly research topics pursued at the Academy or that are concerned with the institution’s general values and objectives (including sustainability, gender diversity, and diversity, etc.) and that position students and graduates of the Academy with their works in a contemporary art context. Proposals for collaborative projects between the various institutes of the Academy will also be accepted.
Should there be the wish to combine the exhibition with teaching practice via a seminar preparing for or following the exhibition, this will be made possible under the conditions stated in the "Appendix – Course information sheet".
The basic budget is to be understood as a service package of the exhibition spaces, in which the technical and organizational support of projects is listed:
- fixed components of the exhibition production (exhibition texts, insurance, opening drinks, waste disposal, etc.)
- operation of the exhibition (security, etc.),
- public relations work including printed matter.
The budget provided for this purpose is earmarked for a specific purpose and cannot be reallocated.
The maximum operational budget provided by the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna per exhibition is 10,000 euros (gross = net): e.g. fees for artists and curators, production of new works, material, transport, displays, equipment rentals, fees, etc.; plus max. 1,500 euros (gross = net) for the additional program in the exhibition context. Aspects of sustainability should be considered in exhibition and budget planning, especially regarding the resource-saving use of materials for exhibition production.
The Exhibit Galerie in the Academy building at Schillerplatz is located opposite the Gemäldegalerie and has about 200 sqm of exhibition space. Room plan see appendix
4. General conditions for the realization of projects
The Contemporary Exhibitions Office and the Office for Public Relations of the Academy will be available for consultation, help plan and organize the exhibition, and offer PR support. It will primarily
- provide conceptual support in the realization of the exhibition,
- manage the entire project budget,
- handle loan transactions and the operation of the exhibition, guarantee adequate conservatory conditions, etc.,
- plan exhibition contrivances and displays, install and dismount the exhibition together with the Department of Facility Management and Procurement (GTB) within the given structural and safety conditions,
- produce printed matter (invitation, poster) along the lines of the Academy’s CI,
- do press work, including assistance with the project’s presentation on the Academy’s homepage, electronic mailings, and advertisements within the available budget.
Submission deadline: 17.04. until 08.06.2023, 11 a.m.
The following documents must be submitted in one PDF document with a maximum size of 5 MB:
- The exhibition concept describing the contents of the project and showing possible artistic contributions (max. 3 pages plus images).
- A list of at least three events during the exhibition’s duration.
- CVs of the submitting parties (max. 1 page/person).
- cost and financing plan for the operational budget: breakdown of costs (production of new works, material, transport, exhibition architecture, supporting program; external staff, if the case) against the background of the services provided by the Academy (basic budget, see above).
- A list of possible cooperation partners for grants.
Optional, to be submitted as a separate PDF:
- Concept for the course “Curatorial Studies” comprising two semester hours per week (max. 2 pages)
Appendix: Information sheets and floor plan exhibit-galerie_schillerplatz.pdf [1006.29 KB] anhang_lehrveranstaltung_en.pdf [91.14 KB]
The Academy’s Exhibition Committee will evaluate the submitted concepts and make the selection. Acceptances and rejections will be made at the beginning of June 2023.
For further information please contact Daniela Jungmann-Masilko (email@example.com, +43 1 588 16-1202)