Call for proposals for the academic year 2023/24 for Courses in Gender / Queer / Decolonial Studies
Deadline: Thursday, Mar 30, 2023, 05:00pm
The Vice-Rector for Art and Teaching of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna calls for proposals for 8 courses (each course lasting for two academic hours a week) for the academic year 2023/24. Of these, 6 courses will be offered in Gender / Queer Studies, 1 course in Critical Race Studies and 1 course in Dis_ability Studies. Courses that pursue a disciplinary perspective as well as interdisciplinary or intersectional courses can be submitted.
An advisory board consisting of experts in the fields of Gender/ Queer / Decolonial Studies is involved in the selection process. We will inform you about the results at the end of May.
- University Degree (MA/Mag./Mag.a) in a study programme offered at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna or related subjects.
- Description of the proposed course in English or German including the following information (max. 2 pages)
- Please indicate the period (winter or summer semester to choose from) for those with university teaching experience /
- Please indicate possible faculty for co-teaching in autumn, for those without university teaching experience
- Title of the course (should be provided in both English and German)
- Course type (lecture or seminar)
- Expected prior knowledge of the students
- Goals (expected learning outcomes and acquired skills)
- Teaching method and examination mode
- Proposed course literature
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 1 page / please indicate if you have taught at university-level before)
Please upload all documents in a single pdf document on the call platform.
- The quality of the proposal and qualification of the applicant
- The advisory board tries to select proposals that represent a variety of topics
- A broad distribution among the institutes and study programs at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna is pursued
- Assignments will only be given to those individuals, which did not teach a course on the basis of this gender/queer studies program at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Gender I Queer I Decolonial Studies) within the last three years.
- A weekly held course is preferred, courses may be partly taught in longer segments, but cannot be taught in just a few long segments.
There are two different teaching assignments:
For individuals without teaching experience at university-level
During the summer semester 2024 you will be responsible for teaching your submitted course. As a preparation for this, you will co-teach a course together with a colleague from the Academy during the winter semester 2023/24. In your proposal you may indicate possible faculty for co-teaching in autumn, although this is not necessary. The purpose of the co-teaching period is to introduce you to teaching methods in higher education via the support of a co-teacher/mentor.
Winter Semester: Co-teaching monthly remuneration: min. € 328,40; paid seven times.
Summer Semester: Seminar/Workshop (Übung): Monthly remuneration min. € 378,90; paid seven times.
For individuals with teaching experience at university-level
You will teach your proposed course during either the winter or summer semester. Please state if you prefer to give your course in the winter (October – January) or summer semester (March – June) or if both terms would be possible.
Lecture (Vorlesung): Monthly remuneration min. € 504,70; paid seven times.
Seminar / Workshop (Übung): Monthly remuneration min. € 378,90; paid seven times.
- For those applicants selected to hold courses at the Academy, there is the opportunity to take part in trainings offered by the Academy, f.e. in didactic in higher education
- Students of “Fashion and Styles” have the opportunity to select a proseminar offered by Gender/Queer Studies. The study program “Fashion and Styles” is part of the curriculum “Education in the Arts” (künstlerisches Lehramtsstudium). In this bachelor´s program, proseminars count as seminars. If these students attend your seminar, they have the possibility to write a term paper / Proseminararbeit (for an additional 1 ECTS). If you apply for holding a seminar please indicate if you are willing and able to offer this option for BA students in Education in the Arts. To be eligible, you need experience in the supervision of term papers/ Proseminararbeiten.
The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna strives to increase the percentage of women and strongly encourages applications from qualified women. Furthermore, the Academy strives to create application and working conditions that are as barrier-free as possible. In this context, the Academy actively supports the application of people with disabilities.
We are looking forward to your proposals!
 Please note that lectures (Vorlesungen) are research-based scholarly courses. The higher remuneration compared to seminars is based on a higher estimated workload for the teachers: for each academic hour (45 minutes) 90 minutes of preparation and 45 minutes of wrap-up. The teacher is solely responsible for presenting the course – students may be given time for discussion, but larger contributions, e.g. presentations by students or papers, cannot be expected.
 Seminars or Workshops (Übungen) can be based on scholarly or artistic as well as arts based research issues and methods. In these courses, students are required to contribute substantially in written (papers) and/or oral form (presentations). The estimated workload for teachers is therefore: 45 minutes preparation and 45 minutes wrap-up for each academic hour of 45 minutes.
For further information please contact Ingrid Schacherl (email@example.com, +43 1 588 16-1113)